Charlie can be reached at email@example.com or 954-414-0401.
Practice: Maritime, Product Liability, Insurance
Admissions: Florida Bar; U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Education: Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, J.D., 2005, Dean's List; University of Florida, B.S. in Business Administration, 2002, Dean's List
Accolades: Florida Bar Board Certified, Admiralty & Maritime Law; AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Charlie, a Florida native, has been working on, in and around boats his whole life. He saw maritime law as an opportunity to combine his passion with his profession. His clients know that he has the technical knowledge of vessels and legal expertise to successfully protect their interests. Charlie knows that marine incidents occur at all hours, so he is there for his clients around the clock. He has a relatable personality that makes the attorney-client relationship enjoyable and wins over juries and judges.
Charlie is an experienced litigation and trial attorney and has successfully assisted clients in resolving matters involving the Limitation of Liability Act, maritime personal injury, property damage, marine salvage and marine insurance coverage issues. He has also enjoyed success at the appellate level with decisions involving admiralty matters in the Eleventh Circuit.
Charlie’s peers rated him at the highest level of professional excellence which has earned him a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® rating. In addition, Charlie has been Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Admiralty and Maritime Law since 2013. Certification is the highest level of recognition by The Florida Bar of the competency and experience of attorneys, and Charlie is one of only 63 out of 100,000 attorneys in Florida to hold this distinction.
Charlie has worked on a wide variety of marine-related cases as well as the defense of product liability cases on behalf of manufacturers in both the marine and non-marine arenas. Some of the types of cases he has handled include:
* Lead counsel in Florida, federal and state courts for vessel owners and marine entities in cases involving personal injury, death and property damage
* Obtained dismissal with prejudice for vessel owners following incident involving severe personal injuries
* Served as counsel in obtaining summary judgement in favor of large product manufacturer in the Eleventh Judicial Circuit
* Obtained summary judgement on numerous counts for marine product manufacturer in the Southern District of Florida
* Served as lead counsel in successful appeals involving marine salvage to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
* Served as trial counsel defending a large reinsurance broker in a two-week trial jury in Florida state court involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud (March 2014). At the close of the plaintiff's case, the judge entered a directed verdict on six of the nine claims. The jury returned a defense verdict on the remaining claims.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Broward County Bar Association
Florida's Defense Lawyer's Association— Maritime Law Committee, past chair
Admiralty Law Committee, The Florida Bar
Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
Maritime Law Association
United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, former member
Fort Lauderdale Mariner's Club, Seminar Chair, Moderator and Skipper
American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC)- Standards Certified
Council on Litigation Management
*Moderator, Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 30th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2019)
*Speaker, "The Aftermath of Disaster," Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 29th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2018)
*Moderator, Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 29th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2018)
*Panelist, "Bracing for the After-Storm," Florida Bar Admiralty Law Committee (June 2018)
*Speaker, "Hurricane Aftermath," Superyacht Claims Adjusters Association (January 2018)
*Moderator, Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 28th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2017)
* Moderator, “Cybercrime — You’re at Risk More Than You Think,” 4th Annual Superyacht Summit (March 2017)
* Moderator, Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 27th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2016)
* Co-Moderator, Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club 26th Annual Marine Insurance Seminar (November 2015)
* Speaker, “Marine Claims Handling,” Progressive Insurance Company (October 2010)
* Speaker, “Environmental Responsibility and Liability,” Marine Industries Association of South Florida (April 2010)
* Speaker, “Hurricane Preparedness,” Southwest Marine Industries Association (April 2010)
* Speaker, "Subcontractor Liability,” Marine Industries Association of South Florida (September 2009)
* Speaker, “Hurricane Aftermath,” Marine Industries Association of South Florida (June 2009)
* “Prevailing Party Fees are Not Recoverable in Cases Arising Under Admiralty Jurisdiction,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (March 2013)
* “Deepwater Horizon MDL — Recent opinions on admiralty jurisdiction and indemnification,” Sedgwick's Admiralty & Energy News (November 2012)
* “A High Stakes Game Of Finders Keepers: A Glance at the World of Marine Salvage Law,” Trial Advocate Quarterly (November 2012)
* “If It Floats, It May Not be a Boat — the U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies the Definition of a Vessel,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (January 2012)
* “Contribution of Non-Claiming Co-Salvors,” Sedgwick’s Admiralty & Energy News (September 2011)
Copyright © 2018 Davant Law, P.A. - All Rights Reserved.